Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sighting black “from behind”?

Hi, colleagues

When I have to pot the black, but I’ve just suddenly landed lover than “black line” I always feel not really confident. For me the sighting in this case differs from the traditional one. In this case the spot on the object ball (black) and the pocket looks far from each other. Usually when I use “normal sighting” I bring my eye to the cue ball, to the pocket, to the necessary spot on the object ball. But when I have to play black “from behind” if I concentrate just a bit on the pocket, I usually lose the spot on the object ball and contrarily the same happens if I concentrate on the spot on the black (I lose line to the pocket). Finally I decided to concentrate mainly on the spot on the black. It makes the successful %-tage of this kind of shot higher but far from a shot’s that I sight traditional way.
    Also I try to add a little bit of side spin “to help” black to go into the pocket, but I don’t sure that I do wright thing...

One friend of mine adviced me when play this kind of shot without any side spin to direct the center of my cue tip exactly on the spot on the object ball. Unfortunately my experience with this option is quite negative, because I usually play too thick. What do you think about this?

Of course I understand: I have to practice, practice, practice and confidence will come.

But could somebody have experienced some technical leap with this kind of shot and able to give me so important advice?

Hi dao

I'm assuming when u say behind the black, u mean closer to the black cushion or what is called a blind angle rather than being high on the black... Well, that's why it's called a blind angle coz the pocket in that case is out of the line of sight as opposed to regular pots.

What I do & I'm sure many would agree is I imagine a ghost ball tight to the black at the potting angle and I would aim the center of the cue ball to the center of that ghost ball as if I'm playing a dead straight shot and the success rate is higher when I do so...

I think the reason u tend to hit thicker is u aim on that spot on the black which is meant to kick the black into the pocket & naturally u will hit thicker coz the side of the cue ball which is closer to the black will hit the black first at a thicker angle hence missing the pot on the thicker side.

I hope this would help u improve your success rate from that angle

Comment

Working...
    X